Monday, April 13, 2009

ladies lunch date

*still working on the quilt pictures... I haven't been able to get a good one due to the lighting and I really want to show you GOOD pictures*

Today is my last day of spring break :(

I decided to spend it with some friends. We decided to have a girls lunch out and only then did we realize that it had been 2 whole years since we all went out to lunch together. You see, 2 years ago my friend Maggie had just become a mom and we went out to celebrate. Her daughter Erika was 2 months old then. Erika is now a walking, talking adorable toddler. Now my friend Dana has a beautiful 2 month old daughter, Brooklyn.

So here we are, 3 adults, a 2 year old, and a 2 month old at a new Mexican restaurant in town. We had a great lunch, and if it had ended right then, I'm positive that I would have wished we spent more time together. However, there is a saying about leaving them wanting more, and I think there's something to that.

All through lunch I was painfully aware that I was the only one without a baby. (Did I forget to mention that Maggie is 5 months pregnant?!) But I was holding it together and not even getting upset when Maggie dominated all the baby holding time even though Erika was screaming in jealousy.

-ok, maybe I was getting a little upset-

But after lunch we went over to Maggie's new house to ohhh and ahhh. Her house is really cute and I'm so happy for them that they got out of their apartment. As we sat down in the living room to chat it became painfully clear that of course it was going to be non-stop baby talk from then on. And we were there for 3 hours! (I was riding with Dana so I didn't have much say in when we left/ how long we stayed.)

A perfect lunch turned into a torture session and I left feeling completely drained and deflated. I love those girls, but it might be awhile before I can spend long periods of time with them again. At least until I am feeling stronger about being around lots of little ones.

And tomorrow I head back to work *woohoo*

- sorry for the downer post on a Monday... I'll be back tomorrow with something more upbeat... I promise!-

1 comment:

  1. Amanda -

    Don't apologize for the "downer" update! I totally understand where you are coming from. It can be really really difficult.

    I have been running into a lot old friends and the first question they ask is when I am going to start having little ones. I wish people would stop and think before they ask such a question. The first time I was asked I just said we hope soon and that person brought it up once again in the same night. I couldn't help it and I just told her that we suffered a miscarriage in December and are just now starting to try again. Geez!

    I had to bow out of attending a baby shower this past Saturday because my husband's cousin's girlfriend is due at the same exact time I would have been due. It is just a painful reminder that I should be having a baby shower now and it just stings a little that those two weren't even wanting to get pregnant.

    I just wanted you to know I totally understand where you are coming from. Hang in there and I am praying for you!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete