Thursday, January 12, 2012

32 Weeks

At 32 weeks we are down to a single digit weekly countdown until the arrival of Baby Roo.

This seems quite impossible to me! Not only because I feel like these last 8 months have FLOWN by, but because I feel completely unprepared to bring a baby home!  More unprepared even than I felt at this point before we brought home our first baby!  How can it be that we're 19 months in to raising Scoot and I feel unprepared for a newborn?

Why WOULD I feel prepared?  We haven't actually had to prepare anything!  We have all the big accessories that come along with babies - carseat, stroller, swing, bouncy seat, pack & play, and baby carrier.  We also have an over abundance of baby toys stored away from Scoot's infant days. 

We did not decorate a nursery since Scoot and Roo will share a room.  The room already has a gender neutral color scheme and isn't too baby-ish or big-kid-ish.  (yep, I just made up that word!)

We haven't bought a single outfit, blanket, or bottle.  We have TONS of blankets, bottles stored from the 7 short months ago that Scoot stopped using them, and totes full of baby girl clothes.  Of course IF Baby Roo ends up being a boy we'll need a whole new wardrobe, but we'll cross that bridge if we get to it. 

My shopping list of items to get in the next 2 months is short... super short.
*Going home outfit (maybe 2 - 1 boy & 1 girl)
*Rear facing carseat mirror for the car (Scoot is still rear facing and using hers.)
*Small can of formula (I plan on breastfeeding, but just in case)
*Crib (Ok, that sounds like a big one but it's not going to be an issue for several weeks/months after the baby is born.)
*Pacifiers

That's it!  And really none of those are NECESSITIES!  We've got clothes the baby can wear home from the hospital. It's only a 10 minute ride so not being able to see the baby in the mirror for 10 minutes won't hurt anybody.  The hospital usually sends home a sample bottle of formula if things get tough with breastfeeding and the grocery store is only blocks away - the baby won't starve!  The baby is going to stay in the pack&play in our room until we get to know each other better and see how Scoot reacts to the middle of the night wakings.  We don't need a crib until we're ready to move the baby into Scoot's room - that could be 4-6 months later.  And finally, we still have a few of Scoot's pacifiers that we could use in a pinch.  I just WANT new ones BUT who's to say the baby will even take a pacifier?

We have done two - only 2 - things to get ready for Baby Roo.  1 ~We bought a case of size 1 diapers. 2~ I crocheted a blanket & hat especially for the baby and I am in the process of making a quilt especially for Baby Roo. 

I feel like Baby Roo is getting the short end of the stick already being the second child and coming so close in age to Scoot.  I know that we won't love the baby any less just because we didn't go through 9 months of intense preparations.  Heck, the baby won't even know how much time we spent getting ready.  Some of my "mommy guilt" over short changing the baby is that I'm afraid other people are going to do the same thing.  I just want to make sure that Baby Roo knows how much we LOVE him/her and are SOOOOOO glad (s)he is joining our family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment