Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Dinner time

Since I'm a stay-at-home-mom now, I feel more responsibility and pressure to make home cooked meals and keep my house cleaner.  Neither of which I am actually very good at. 

My standards for a clean house are not that high.  Everything is tidy and safe for my sweet girl.  But I could care less about the dust on fan blades or washing base boards.  I hope to get better about that by getting on a cleaning schedule, but that's not what I'm working on right now. 

The current focus of my attention is cooking more.  Making more "real" food and staying away from the frozen convenience food.  Hubby sure does like that fake food though.  He's pretty picky -ok, extremely picky- when it comes to eating, and he basically only likes that fast fake food.  He's giving me some grief about this new plan, but I know its best for us all in the long run.  Especially for my sweet girl.  She is developing her eating habits now and I don't want her to be picky like Aaron.  I want her to be adventurous.  I want her to enjoy veggies and have a favorite meal that she requests for birthday dinners. 

Anyway, I've been working on it for the last week or two, but this week is really backfiring so far.  Last night I made spaghetti sauce from scratch instead of opening a jar.  I used my mom's recipe, which I LOVE.  But I used twice as much tomato sauce as I was suppose to and it ended up being kinda gross.  (I'm blaming it on pregnancy brain.)  I didn't make any strides in convincing Aaron that this cooking was a good thing. 

Then this morning I set up the crock-pot nice and early to make chicken & dumplings.  It didn't turn out anything like the recipe said it should.  I actually thought it turned out pretty tasty though.  BUT it didn't look good at all!  Caroline ate it up.  Aaron, again, was not impressed at all. 

Tomorrow night I'm making my favorite homemade mac & cheese... and for my Kraft blue box guy, I don't think it's going to go over well.  If I just keep it up, he'll get use to it right?  Eventually I'll be able to change his decades worth of conditioning to like over processed, frozen food... I hope.  Until then I'm going to enjoy these real foods, because I've missed them for the last 5 years.  And it's time for a change - I'm so tired of eating the same stuff over and over and over again.

1 comment:

  1. I am so tired of eating the same stuff over and over and over again, too! It is my LEAST favorite thing...trying to find dinners to make each week and planning ahead. I hate it. Good luck with your new plan! Your hubby will come around! LOL!

    ReplyDelete