Sunday, August 12, 2012

When Scoot was born I was a first time mom and went back to work the day she turned 10 weeks old. 

This second time around I'm an experienced mom and I'm staying home now.  In other words, it should be a tad bit easier.  Granted I do also have a 2 year old fighting the 5 month old for my attention, but overall Scoot has been so super good.  She transitioned seamlessly from only child to big sister. 

With Scoot I breastfed exclusively until she was 10 months and then with formula supplements until 11 months.  I was working and had to pump at least once during my work day and once at night.  It was not easy, but I was committed.  It made me feel closer to this sweet girl that I left at the babysitters house 9 hours a day.

This time I've been toying with the idea of quitting sooner rather than later.  Even though it should be easier this time.  I'm home and don't have to pump.  He's right here with me all the time so it should be easy to keep it up.  And since I've done it before I should be a pro by now. 

It has been easy, very easy.  But for mostly selfish reasons, I'm ready to be done.  At 5 months.  I want to take some of my meds that I'm not allowed to take while breastfeeding, but that make me feel better and more like myself.  I want someone else to be able to feed him once in awhile.  And I want my boobs to stop leaking all over the place any time I hear any baby cry. 

But tonight I tried to give him a bottle of formula before bed.....  and he would have NONE of that ridiculousness!  He's had a bottle many times before, but it's always been pumped breast milk.  So apparently I have some work to do before I can even think about weaning him to formula and getting my boobs back. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that is selfish of you to want to be able to take meds that make you feel more like yourself. The medications will enable you to be a better mother - which is great for everyone involved. Don't feel guilty. I was only able to breastfeed for 5 days. You were able to hang on for 5 months! Good for you and take good care! Glad you are back to blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete