Tuesday, January 20, 2009

one for the history books

School was cancelled today due inclement weather...or as it turned out a complete lack of weather... but still I was home from work. Beginning at 7am and continuing straight through to the evening news the inauguration of Barack Obama was on all major news channels. Mostly it was just on as the background to me puttering around the house, but I did stop from time to time to listen and watch the more important parts: the swearing in, the medical emergency during lunch, the parts of the parade that the Obama's walked, and whenever they talked about his beautiful daughters. Whether we agree with his politics or voted for Obama or not, he is our president now and I for one will be praying for his success because his success is the best thing for our country.

I was moved by it all.
the feeling of being part of history...
being simultaneously torn between wishing I was in D.C. and being thankful that I was warm with plenty of room to stretch for the historic moment...
the contagious joy that was obvious even through the T.V. ...
being so proud of our country...
joy on Michelle Obama's face ...
a feeling of "what now" for the Bush family...
the open moments of prayer
having young children in the White House

I am a "moments" person. I remember where I was, what I was doing, who I was with, and sometimes even smells or songs from various "moments" in my life. I'm quite sure that this will be one of the big ones though!

No comments:

Post a Comment